Lamb Rendang Burger
With Mak Tok’s Rendang Chilli Paste
1) Add the potatoes and lamb into a slow-cooker along with a full jar of Mak Tok’s Rendang Chilli Paste. Pour water into the emptied jar and close the lid before shaking well to get all the remaining paste from the jar. Remove the lid and pour the water into the slow-cooker. Mix well and close the slow-cooker with a lid. Slow cook on low for 6 hours minimum.
2) While the lamb rendang is cooking, prepare the kerisik (coconut butter). Roast the desiccated coconut in a pan on low heat until golden brown. Remove it from the pan and add the roasted desiccated coconut in a pestle and mortar. Pound and grind until it turns into a paste. Set aside.
3) After 6 hours, add the kerisik and coconut milk to the lamb rendang and stir well.
4) Time to Ultimate the lamb rendang by pouring it into a pan and cook it for a further 15-30 minutes on low heat. Add kaffir lime leaves and eason with salt at this point. Continue stirring the rendang to prevent the bottom from burning. Your “ultimated” lamb rendang should have a nice layer of oil separated to the top.
5) Next, assemble your burger starting with the bottom part of the bun, lamb rendang, cucumber, red onions, and lastly the top of the bun. Enjoy!
*Top tip: Safe the remaining lamb rendang for next day lunch with some sticky rice.