Dark Soy Chilli Beef
With Mak Tok’s Sweet Fire Paste & Sweet Soy Sauce
- 450g thin beef strips
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 50g ginger (minced)
- 8 cloves garlic (minced)
- 80ml water
- 80ml Shaoxing wine
- 80g light brown sugar
- 80ml Mak Tok’s Sweet Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- cornstarch mixture (1 tablespoon cornstarch + 2 tablespoon water)
- 1.5 tablespoon Mak Tok’s Fire Chilli Paste
- Oil for deep-frying
1) Add cornstarch and baking soda into a large mixing bowl. Mix well and coat the beef strips with the mixture.
2) Pour oil into a deep-fryer or deep pan and heat it up. Once the oil is ready, turn the heat to medium and deep fry the coated beef strips until golden brown. This usually takes about 4 minutes. Remove beef from oil and set aside.
3) In a nonstick pan, add 1 tablespoon of the oil used to deep fry the beef. Saute the garlic and ginger in medium heat for 1 minute. Add in the water, Shaoxing wine, light soy sauce, Mak Tok’s Sweet Soy Sauce and Mak Tok’s Fire Chilli Paste. Bring the sauce to a boil and turn the heat to low before pouring in the cornstarch mixture.
4) Add the deep-fried beef strips to the pan and coat them with the sauce.
5) Serve your Dark Soy Chilli Beef on a plate with some warm rice or fried noodles.
*Top tip: You can substitute the Shaoxing wine with dry sherry.