Mapo Tofu Mak Tok’s Style
With Mak Tok’s Fire Chilli Paste
- 250g extra firm tofu (cubed)
- 2 stalk spring onion (sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 15g ginger (minced)
- 50g carrot (diced)
- 1.5 tablespoon soybean paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 150ml water
- 1 tablespoon Mak Tok’s Fire Chilli Paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Szechuan peppercorn
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon oil
1) Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Sauté spring onions, garlic, and ginger for 1 minute. Add carrots and sauté for a further 1 minute.
2) Add soybean paste, soy sauce, Mak Tok’s Fire Chilli Paste and water. Continue to stir for 1 minute before adding in the Szechuan peppercorn. Cook for 1 minute on medium heat.
3) Add tofu to the pan and mix well. Gently stir and flip the tofu pieces for 3 minutes before lowering the heat to low. Lastly, pour in the cornstarch and sugar. Mix well.
4) Plate it and garnish it with some spring onions.
*Top tip: Toast the Szechuan peppercorn and pound it to fine powder to elevate the numbing sensation in this dish.