Fish and Chips
With Mak Tok’s Sweet Chilli Paste
- 2 pcs cod
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup ice-cold sparkling water
- Mak Tok’s Sweet Chilli Paste (as a condiment)
1) In a large mixing bowl, add the plain flour, cornflour, curry powder, salt, black pepper and sparkling water. Gently mix until you get a smooth thick batter.
2) Pour oil into a deep pan and heat it up.
3) Once the oil is almost ready, dust the fish with some cornflour. After that, dip the fish into the batter and ensure every part is fully coated. Immediately place the battered fish into the hot oil. Allow to fry for about 7 to 8 minutes.
4) Remove fish from the oil and place it on a wire rack to cool for a minute before serving it with some peas, chips, and a good amount of Mak Tok’s Sweet Chilli Paste.
*Top tip: Gently sprinkle and deep fry the remaining batter for a delicious crunchy side for the fish.