Vegan Cornflakes Fried Chicken
With Mak Tok’s Satay Chilli Paste
1) Make sure you freeze the tofu and thaw it before using. This will help extract the excess water from the tofu giving it a meatier texture. Once thawed, squeeze the tofu with your hands to remove even more water. Slice the tofu into uneven cubes.
2) In a bowl, add the plain flour, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, salt, smoked paprika, and nutritional yeast. Add the tofu pieces in and coat well. Remove the tofu and set aside.
3) Add the lightly crushed cornflakes to the remaining flour mixture and set aside.
4) Whisk the aquafaba until foamy before dunking the tofu pieces into it. Next, put the tofu pieces into the cornflake flour mixture and coat well.
5) Pour oil into a deep frying pan and heat it up. Test with a stick or chopsticks. If it’s bubbling, then the oil is ready. Add the tofu pieces and deep fry until golden brown.
6) Serve your crunchy Vegan Cornflake Fried Chicken with Mak Tok’s Satay Chilli Paste.
Top tip: You can also use soft tofu for a smoother but equally as meaty texture.