Buttermilk Fried Chicken
With Mak Tok’s Signature and Sweet Chilli Paste
1) Prepare the buttermilk by squeezing the lemon juice to the milk. Set aside for 10 minutes.
2) Poke the chicken with a fork and marinade with Mak Tok’s Sweet Chilli Paste. Pour the buttermilk over the chicken and allow the chicken to soak in the mixture for at least an hour in the fridge.
3) Prepare the coating by mixing plain flour, salt, garlic powder, and nutmeg powder in a large bowl.
4) Remove the chicken from the fridge and set aside while you prepare the oil. Pour the oil into a deep frying pan and heat it up. Test the oil with a chopstick by dipping it into the oil. If it starts bubbling, the oil is ready for deep frying.
5) Take the chicken and coat it with the flour mixture before gently placing it into the oil. Deep fry the chicken for about 7 minutes.
6) Remove chicken from the oil and drain the excess oil away by placing it on a wire rack.
7) Sprinkle some chopped parsley onto the chicken and serve with any of your favourite Mak Tok’s chilli pastes as a dip.
*Top tip: If you can’t get hold of nutmeg, try with 1/4 teaspoon of Chinese Five Spice.