1) Remove the fatty skin part of the chicken and set aside. Add salt to the chicken and 2 teaspoons of sesame oil. Let it sit for 5 mins.
2) In a large wok or stockpot, add the chicken skin and stir fry on high heat for 4 mins. Remove chicken skin and add the aromatics (spring onions, ginger, and garlic). Sauté the aromatics for 2 minutes before adding the chicken legs on top of them. Close the lid, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 5 mins.
3) Add water and a cube of chicken stock into the pot and bring it to a boil. Allow it to continue to boil for 3 mins before removing the chicken and aromatics from the stock. Remove a scoop of stock and set aside as your side dish soup.
4) Drain jasmine rice and add into the boiling stock. Place the chicken legs on top of the rice and cover the lid. Cook the rice and chicken on medium-low heat for 10-15 mins.
5) Place the aromatics in a pestle and pound it until you get a fragrant ginger garlic paste. Season with fish sauce and sesame oil. Set aside.
6) Once the rice is done, remove the chicken and fluff the rice before serving your delicious chicken rice with Mak Tok’s Sweet Chilli Paste, ginger garlic paste, cucumber, and soup.
*Top tip: Drizzle some dark soy sauce or kicap manis over the chicken and rice for an authentic Malaysian way of enjoying this dish.