1. Blue rice (Nasi biru)
- Wash and soak Jasmine rice for 15 minutes with 2 cups of water, 2 stalk of lemongrass, Kaffir lime leaves, a pinch of salt, and Butterfly Pea flower extract.
- Cook the rice and until done. Fluff and set aside.
2. Side salad (Ulaman)
- In a large mixing bowl, add white cabbage, green beans, beansprouts, coriander, ginger, sugar, and a tablespoon of a spoonful of toasted desiccated coconut.
- Mix well and season with salt to taste. Set aside.
3. Fish Floss (Serunding Ikan)
- Make the fish floss by adding all the remaining toasted desiccated coconut, tuna, red onions, and lemongrass to a pestle-and-mortar. Grind and pound all the ingredients together for at least 5-10 minutes.
- Tips: you can use a food processor for this step instead of pestle-and-mortar.
- Season with sugar and salt to taste.
- Heat up a wok and turn down the fire to low before adding in the fish floss. Gently fry the fish floss until dry (usually takes 10minutes)
- Set aside and let it cool.
4. Stuffed peppers (Solok Lada)
- Create an opening and remove all the seeds from the chillies.
- In a mixing bowl, add 2 tablespoon of the fish floss, garlic powder, ginger powder, black pepper powder, a tablespoon of coconut milk, and an egg. Mix well to create a mixture
- Stuff the peppers with the mixture and steam for 10 minutes (or 1 minutes 30 seconds with the lid on in the microwave oven).
- Set aside and allow to cool.
5. Coconut curry (Gulai Tumis).
- Heat up a saucepan on low and add Mak Tok’s Signature Chilli Paste and the remaining coconut milk.
- Season with a pinch of salt and set aside.
6. Tangy Chilli paste (Sambal Cuka).
- Mix Mak Tok’s Fire Chilli Paste with lime and set aside.
7. Nasi Kerabu
- Assemble the blue rice, side salad, fish floss, stuffed peppers, coconut curry, tangy chilli paste, salted duck egg, and some mini poppadoms in a large plate.
- Tuck in!
*Top tip: Serve with some homemade fried chicken!
My belly is rumbling
That's dinner sorted