1) Boil eggs and set aside.
2) Wash dried anchovies and drain the water away. In a wok/saucepan, pour in oil and heat it up. Test with a small piece of anchovy and if it starts to bubble, you know the oil is ready. Deep fry anchovies in small batches until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain with kitchen roll. Set aside.
3) Slice cucumber and set aside.
4) Roast peanuts on a frying pan if using raw peanuts. If using roasted peanuts, skip this step and set the peanuts aside.
5) Wash and rinse rice for 4-5 times until water is clear. Soak the rice with water for at least 15 mins.
6) In a saucepan, add the rice and the water used to soak the rice. Add an additional 1/2 cup of water and bring it to a boil. Add white pepper, garlic powder, ginger powder, pandan powder, sugar and salt. Close the saucepan with a lid and lower the heat to low. Allow to cook for about 10mins.
7) At 3/4 of the time, open the lid and add coconut cream into the rice. Mix well and close the lid. Allow to cook for another minute before turning of the heat and set aside.
8) Assemble your nasi lemak starting with the rice, and followed by all the condiments and of course, your Mak Tok’s Signature Chilli Paste
*Top tip: for an even tastier nasi lemak, add a tablespoon of Mak Tok’s Fire Chilli Paste on the side.