1) Toast desiccated coconut in a clean pot/saucepan on low heat until golden-brown. Set aside.
2) Add potatoes and water into the pot. Set on high medium high heat and allow to cook for 20mins with lid on. At 10 mins, add Mak Tok’s Rendang Chilli Paste.
3) Add aubergine, coconut milk, salt and allow the rendang to cook for another 10mins on medium heat with the lid on.
4) Finally, add bell peppers and desiccated coconut into the rendang. Mix well and allow to further cook for 5mins without the lid. This is to reduce the sauce, making it thick and nice – exactly like how rendang should be.
5) Add a squeeze of lime and serve with a bowl of warm rice.
Top tip: Remember to keep an eye on the rendang as you don’t want to burn it. If it’s becoming overly dry (sauce starting to stick at the bottom of the pot), then add 50ml of water at a time.