Mak Tok’s Cookbook
Roast Chicken Rice
With Mak Tok’s Signature Chilli Paste
This recipe is a mainstay of Malaysian cooking, and despite having several steps, it’s so simple. So full of flavour that you’ll taste it before it’s even in your mouth! Give it a whirl, and if you need a more detailed approach, check out our video on the recipe.
1) Mix the sesame oil, oyster sauce, light and dark soy sauce, white pepper, paprika, and Chinese 5 spice together into a paste.
2) Cover your chicken with the marinade, and wrap it in clingfilm. Leave it to sit for 1 hour.
3) Put the chicken into an oven that has been pre-heated to 200c and leave it to cook for 1.5 hours.
4) While your chicken is cooking, heat a wok or large pan, and add your tbsp of butter.
5) Once melted, add your frozen ginger and garlic, and once they start to smell add half a tbsp of sesame oil.
6) Wash your jasmine rice until the water runs clear, and then add it to the pan.
7) Dry fry it for 1 minute, before adding your chicken stock.
8) Cook it for 15 minutes, and make sure to stir it after 10 minutes.
9) Chop your lettuce, cherry tomatoes and cucumber up.
10) Serve your lettuce on a bed of your rice, and add as much chicken as you desire.